About Me

My photo
I am a momma to three little munchkins and see my family as a funny little band of characters trudging through life sharing sicknesses and toothpaste, coveting one anothers desserts, throwing cold water in on others showers, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, defending and laughing until our belly hurts. I adore growing my faith in Jesus, my family, peanut M&Ms, pizza, diet dr. pepper, crafting and bargains!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Leave it all in the box

After having lunch with a sweet friend today I realized this thing called life is tough. Lately, I have had this overwhelming feeling that I missed a step somewhere. Many go to college caring less about future careers and more about their MRS degree. However, that wasn't me. I wanted a career, a true big girl kind of job. I committed myself to academia and extra curricular activities to provide myself with not only a stellar resume but also poised interview skills that would be tough to beat against other interviewees. So what happened? Well... I fell in love. I went to Mimi's Cafe to meet a long time friend for lunch and that lunch turned into a several hour conversation, a trip to fast lanes where I schooled him in laser tag because he had his gun upside down and after countless laughs;  I became a bride, a wife, and shortly after a mom. My life was now consumed with beaming at the successes of my husband and full time motherhood.  While I may be a mom to three little ones now, I still feel like that same girl dreaming big dreams even when I couldn't see the stepping stones to get there.  Underneath all the spit-up, diaper changes, cleaning, cooking and laughing with my better half,  I still want that career. When God blessed me with my children I truly thought an enormous about of success would come from being a mommy to them. But the true reality is...It isn't all rainbows and butterflies or a facebook post worthy of hundreds of likes.  Of course, there are moments where I can't get enough kisses and hugs;  but there are also moments where I want to shut myself off from babies just to give me a glimpse of quiet time. You may ask, what is stopping me from pursuing a career? The answer may be shocking.... I have no idea what I want to do. How does a girl who committed herself to graduating at the top of her class and community service not know what she wants to do for a career? Children changed everything. My mind at times seems like a box of chocolates. One minute I have taken a bite of one and have my mind made up and the next I am reaching for another piece of chocolate and more confused than I was before. Ultimately, I want to feel a sense of success outside of being a mom and wife. Right now, I don't know what that success looks like. There are days I wake up hoping I would find a piece of paper giving me step by step instructions on defining my success, but today, I did learn about a special project to help me through this journey called life. A prayer box. I actually write down my prayers and place them in a box symbolizing truly giving over my prayers to God and trusting his guidance and answers. Being a mommy is my current profession but I know i need to allow God to help me define what personal success is in my life so that I can stop questioning every bite and know the chocolate I've chosen is the profession for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment